the US Armed forces asked
automobile companies in 1940 to
come up with a new general
purpose vehicle to replace the
motorcycle in the field, Wiley's
Motor Company created the Jeep.
The army called them "General
Purpose" vehicles or "GP."
The name Jeep was derived from
the slurring of the letters GP
together when the soldiers would
quickly say them.